Saturday 2 July 2011

Saturday lunchtime

Photos taken with my rather basic mobile, so not wonderful quality, sorry.


Went strawberry picking, then shopping and got the stuff needed to make strawberries and cream ice cream, strawberry jam and strawberry gin/vodka - except that I forgot the gin/vodka. Never mind, it will keep because I can freeze the berries and use them when I need to.

I'm just posting this to encourage any local readers to take a trip to Lathcoates Farm on Beehive Lane. It's lovely. As you can see from the photos, there's minimal bending (so very back-friendly) and there are SO many strawberries, especially if you take a gentle stroll up to the end of the field. I might go raspberry picking next - I saw some that people had just picked and were paying for and they looked absolutely delicious!

So the ice cream mixture is churning away at the moment - well, some of it is, because the recipe I used made rather more than I expected. I wasn't thinking! It's a recipe from a very old book and I made it decades ago and thought it was absolutely scrummy. If my memory is correct I will post the recipe because it's dead easy!

I'm just about to dig out the strawberry jam recipe and start that off. The best berries will be eaten fresh and the rest will be jammed or frozen until needed for whatever. I picked far too many, of course, but they won't go to waste!

Mmmmmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment