Sunday 15 April 2012

Vegetable chili tortilla

This was nice, very, very nice.  DG had seconds and when asked if he liked it said 'No, I DON'T like it, I LOVE it!'  So I thought I'd share.

As with most of my efforts, it's not original.  I caught one of Delia's How to Cook programmes this week and she did something a bit similar.  Just a bit similar, but it set the old brain cells a-clickety clacking around and this was the result.  No picture, I'm afraid, which is a shame because it did look rather nice.  Also, I'm afraid amounts are vague because I tend to cook these things by 'instinct' (or, sometimes, sheer greed).  And I bet Delia's tastes a lot better, but mine is healthier!

It's quite filling.  I made four for the three of us.  I had one and was satisfied.  In fact I'm still feeling quite full at coming up four-thirty.  DG scraped the dish virtually clean!

Vegetable chili tortilla

Ingredients to serve 1
Some vegetable chili (can be meat chili, of course) - I made a pot of chili yesterday with my leftover vegetables.
A flour tortilla.  I used Weight Watchers Mexican style wraps.
A little oil to brush around the oven dish
milk
some flavoursome cheese, finely grated (I used a mixture of Cheddar and vegetarian Parmesan - well, Sainsbury's Value Italian style . . . because it's OK for vegetarians)
Cornflour
Seasoning

Method.
Heat the chili and turn the oven on to 180C

Make a cheese sauce by mixing about 2/3 of the grated cheese with some cornflour, heating the milk and, when it's nearly boiling, pouring in the cheese/cornflour and stirring until it thickens.  Season with salt and a little pepper.  You don't need a lot of sauce.

Lightly oil an oven proof dish big enough to take the rolled up tortilla, either lengthways or cut into 2.

Spoon the chili down the middle of the tortilla and fold over one side, then the other, so they overlap.  Carefully place, overlap underneath, in the oiled dish, cutting it in half to fit if necessary.   It can be a bit messy to lift but if you have plenty of chili 'liquid' it doesn't bake dry.

Spoon over the cheese sauce, sprinkle over the remaining cheese (that was not mixed with cornflour), give a final grating of pepper and bake in the oven until it is all hot and bubbling and the cheese has browned on top.

Serve immediately with a salad.  Yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment