Saturday 1 September 2012

Saturday morning: a recipe

This is not authentic but it is delicious so here it is - hope you enjoy.  The list looks long but most of it is spices and other store cupbourd basics and I had them all in the cupboard - in fact, I didn't need to go out and buy anything, which pleased me no end!

Best ever chicken balti

Ingredients to serve 6
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 tsp chilli powder
1.5 tsp garam masala
1 tsp minced garlic (I used garlic puree)
3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp Greek yogurt (I used the 0% fat kind)
2 tbsp fresh coriander (missed this out as I don't like the stuff)
2 tbsp mango chutney
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
4 tbsp oil (didn't use anything like this much!!!)
2 green chillis, chopped
2 tbsp single cream

I also used:
Half an onion, chopped
1/4 yellow pepper, chopped
1 chestnut mushroom chopped
. . . and I was making it just for 1 so the other ingredients were reduced accordingly.  Thank goodness for a variety of measuring spoons.

Method.
1  Blend together the tomato puree, yogurt, garam masala, chilli powder, garlic, mango chutney, salt and sugar

2.  Heat the oil (I just brushed a little around the pan with my pastry brush), add the onion and simmer gently until softening and translucent.  Add the pepper and mushroom and simmer for another couple of minutes.  Stirring helps!

3.  Add the tomato mixture and cook for about 2 mins, stirring often.

4.  Add the chopped chicken and a little water, stir well and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked, stirring now and again.  It doesn't take long.

5.  Finally, add the chillis, coriander and cream, stir in well, and cook gently for a few more minutes until back up to heat.  if the sauce is too thick, add a little water to get the consistency you want.

6.  Serve with boiled rice and/or nan bread.  (which I didn't, because I didn't want to - it was filling enough without)


No comments:

Post a Comment