Friday 21 September 2012

What kind of idiot . . .

. . . tries to make seedless blackberry jam at this time of the morning?  Me, that's who!  And ooops! 

I was given some blackberries by K, our wonderful ICT technician at school.  I had stewed them and pushed them through the mouli but I was getting concerned about leaving the puree much longer.
I also decided it would be a good opportunity to use my new maslin pan for the first time.  Big mistake!

You see, I rather overestimated how long it would all take, my experiences before being with an ordinary pan with a base that is thick enough but nowhere near as thick as a proper preserving pan.
So I checked for setting point - no, not yet.  Decided it was more than five minutes off, came back five minutes later to find a lovely, gooey, thick syrup.  Ooooops!
I've jamjarred it, of course, there's nothing wrong with it except that you probably need to cut it with a knife.  The flavour is wonderful!  It will do for porridge, rice pud, yogurt and the like.  But I can't really give a jar (it made just two jars) to K.

Happily, she emailed me yesterday evening asking if I would like some more so I have an opportunity to redeem myself.  One of my weekend tasks will be to make proper seedless blackberry jam.  I've taken the last bag of frozen berries out of the freezer to add and I won't make that mistake again. 

Proper preserving pan = a faster set!  Now I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment