Monday 29 October 2012

Monday morning

Every morning, as I stagger down stairs still half asleep, I always stop at the 'landing' window to open in and peep out onto whatever the weather has done with my little world.  It isn't really a landing window, it's halfway up (or down) the stairs and for some reason, today it reminded me of an AA Milne poem which went something like this:

Halfway up the stairs is a stair where I sit
There isn't any other stair quite like it
It isn't at the bottom and it isn't at the top
But it is the stair where I always stop.

I bet half of that is wrong.  I shall have to Google it now, of course. (goes off to Google)
I was right - half of it is wrong.  Here is the proper version:

Halfway down the stairs
is a stair
where I sit.
There isn't any
other stair
quite like
it.
I'm not at the bottom,
I'm not at the top;
so this is the stair
where
I always
stop.

Lovely, isn't it?  And such a great way of organising the lines so that it is just like a child laboriously climbing down the stairs and stopping right in the middle.  So I was sort of close . . . sort of.  And the results of my investigation - warmer than yesterday, no frost, no rain - yet.

After that bit of culture I am very happy to report that the two potato topped pies were lovely.  The mash was great tasting and great textured and I suspect instant is in its way out now.  I made enough for four or five and there was none left.  The best sort of statement!
And after the main course there were cupcakes.  Birthday cupcakes, seeing as it was Beth's birthday on Friday.  Special cupcakes made by JustJules Cakes.  I've mentioned Julia's business before - if you live local, Google for her web site - she is a genius!




I discovered a blog yesterday.  I think many of us will have heard of the 'Mom' (sorry) who went on strike.  I rather enjoyed reading her funny and perceptive comments but couldn't help thinking that I missed an opportunity when my two were young.  I've never been too fond of housework so 'striking' was a regular occurence for me and mine.  Such a shame blogging hadn't been invented (I think) or maybe I could have made a fortune!!

I'm afraid I slept most of yesterday afternoon away.  Tiredness is never that far away at the moment and it's all too easy to give way to it - after all, there's not a lot stopping me!  I did intend to give downstairs a little bit of a tidy up as I have a friend round for lunch, but snoozing seemed the more pleasurable option.  Ho hum.
With this lunch in mind, I made a batch of biscotti - cranberry and almond biscotti and they are rather tasty.  They'd be even nicer with some white chocolate zig-zagged actoss, but they won't get that today!  I've put together what I hope will be a nice enough lunch - home made rolls, cold meat, cheese and chutney, followed by coffee and biscotti!


And now I'd better start tidying up a bit.



No comments:

Post a Comment