Sunday 7 October 2012

Sunday


One of the many views of Hyde Hall gardens I will probably be boring you with over the next week or so!

Good morning, everyone.  It looks as if we might be getting another very pleasant day today.  After my dire predictions early yesterday morning the skies cleared and we had the most beautiful autumnal day.  Clear blue skies, then some puffy clouds, plenty of sun, warm in the sun but a bit colder in the shade and Hyde Hall was a delight, as it always is.

We arrived there in time for lunch.  They do the most delicious home made soups and yesterday it was leek and potato, one of our favourites.  After we had polished off our lunch we strolled up to the top, around the gardens and back down again for a nosey around the shop.  I hadn't intended to buy anything but found 'The Jolly Christmas Postman' which I bought to share with my class.

Then it was home, James, for a cuppa and some tealoaf (or, in my case, an apple) before I got going on dinner.  It didn't, in fact, take very much trouble as I had already made the savoury mince and a cheese sauce is no hassle.  So I layered it all up and popped the lasagne in to cook slowly while I made a simple salad to go with it.  Some garlic bread finished off what proved to be a very acceptable dinner and I was lucky that there was enough lasagne left over for Monday lunch at school as both my guests had seconds!

After a very good night's sleep I came down this morning to an unpleasant surprise.  I can't get into the kitchen!  The door handle has jammed overnight, somehow, and I must wait until the 'handyman' of my guests wakes up and comes down to see if he can sort it or if we're in a bit of a fix.  As I result, I am absolutely dying for my usual mug of coffee, I want to get the preparations for the roast dinner started and I can't . . . I can't even set the table for breakfast.  Very annoying.  I have no idea why it's jammed, it has never shown signs of sticking before.

Ah well . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment