Sunday 21 September 2014

Sunday

Thankfully, it is a little cooler this morning and I doubt very much we will have another storm before daybreak.  Two mornings running with storms is a bit unusual around here and I am thankful for the increased freshness.

I didn't get as much done as I expected yesterday.  I did a fair amount of school work although there's more to do, but other weekend stuff took rather a back seat.  I shall have to give that some priority today, I think.  I've decided to have another PJ day (as yesterday) which means I won't be doing a shop.  Fortunately, with school just over the road from Morrisons, shopping is not in any way a problem.

I did do a few bits and bobs.  I made some bread and decided to add oats to the bread but I think I added a bit too much and the 'crumb' wasn't as I expected.  It's OK, it tastes good and it won't be wasted, but it will be toast rather than sarnies.  Fortunately, we have a toaster in the staffroom so that's not a problem.

Earlier in the week a colleague, H, used some apples and lemons in maths (weighing) and offered them to me as she'd heard that I made jammy, fruity things and she didn't need them.  So yesterday I made two pots of lemon curd, one for her and one for me.  I'd have made more but I am out of eggs.  Using Thermione, making lemon curd is a total doddle.

I used up some tomatoes, as mentioned yesterday, in a sauce type thing.  I decided to add some home grown chillies and, as the first one I used a while ago was really mild with precious little kick, I use two and didn't seed them.  Bit of a mistake as the resulting (very tasty) sauce is quite hot.  It won't be wasted though as I can use it in things like chili con carne (or veg equivalent) but I must make sure I label the pots accurately.

Looking at what I've said above, it looks as if I spent all day in the kitchen rather than on school work but I didn't.  All the dishes above, with Thermione's help, are things where you start it off and just leave it to progress while you get on with other work - school work in my case.

I'm going to have tomatoes on toast again.  It's my fave breakfast and almost all home made/grown so the flavour is wonderful.  Better get going, hadn't I?

Enjoy the day.

2 comments:

  1. Here's me thinking how lucky you are to have tomatoes behaving themselves. I'm hoping they perform better for me next year. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I. I still remember one year when all my plants got early blight. I was devastated! Fingers crossed for you for next year.
    J x

    ReplyDelete