Wednesday 28 September 2016

Wednesday

Good morning, gentle readers.

I feel so rested this morning.  One could almost say that I overslept - I didn't wake until 5:45 this morning which, given that I've been waking around four recently, is fantastic and I do feel so much better for nearly another two hours of sleep.  I wasn't late to bed either.

I bounced downstairs and set to making this year's mincemeat.  I use the Delia recipe that my mum has used for decades and which looks a bit urgh in the jar but tastes heavenly.  I adapted it, of course, to suit what I had in the cupboard so, instead of currants, I used cranberries and I added some chopped dried apricots which needed using up.
There are a few things I need to get: a bit more candied peel and some oranges, and I think I will also add some chopped walnuts as I adore them in Christmassy things.  I'm also trying to decide whether to add brandy or whether to get some grand marnier and add that instead.  I have time to think about that as it's a long process and I won't need the alcohol until tomorrow as I am leaving it all to steep until early tomorrow morning so the flavours develop and mingle..
Here's a link to the recipe, if you're interested.  It's really good and I will give some away as Christmas presents.

Yesterday I was given a bag of crab apples (thanks, M-A) so that's another very pleasant task for today.  I have to brave the garage to find my jelly bag first though as it has to be a lovely, clear, pink tinted jelly.  I think I will use the remaining mush to make something else though as I can't bear the waste which is why I rarely make a jelly.

After having a good time in Foundation Stage in the morning, getting to know the new-to-school children, the afternoon was spent in sewing and crocheting.  I've finished the gift now and, hopefully, will get it to the recipient tomorrow.  I hope she likes it.  I have also almost finished the poncho I am making.  It's a step above what I used to make with granny squares in my younger days and fits nicely so I am sure to wear it.  I just have to decide whether to put a fringe round or not.  I'm thinking not as it strikes me as rather hippy-teenager-60s like and while I can relate to the 60s, it's in quite a different way!!
Here's a link to the pattern which I have made, not in the lurid colours there, but in a nice, slightly tweedy dusky-dark lilac aran.

So today is mostly going to be kitchen based after a trip to get what I need.  Apart from the crab apple jelly, I have a pile of giulietta tomatoes to turn into chopped tomatoes for the freezer and I'm pondering over making some red onion marmalade.

Later on it is tuition, but the planning for that is pretty much done and really just needs a tweak and a polish.

I also have to start owl making for a friend who has ordered two and, after some good news from another friend, I am thinking quilts again!

However did I find time to work, eh?

Today's food
B:  toast and marmalade; apple
L:  red pepper hummus, oatcakes, salad; orange
D:  fish fingers, new potatoes, runner beans, tomatoes; yogurt and pineapple


No comments:

Post a Comment