Thursday 24 August 2017

Thursday

Good morning, everyone.  I have no idea about the weather because it's the middle of the night and I can't sleep but it feels OK - mild but not baking and not too humid either.

Yesterday turned out OK too.  I did two loads of washing in the afternoon and both loads dried on the line which was great.  No ironing though as I was too tired (so why am I awake now?)

I like the new pans and the removable handle is neat.  The lids can't go in the oven which I think is silly and wasted opportunity and I have contacted Tefal to say so.  There are lids in the range that will go in the oven but you can't get them separately (yet).  Oh, well, as I said yesterday, foil will have to do.
They stack beautifully without handles to get in the way and the lids sit on top of each other so the take up surprisingly little room.  I will be sorting out and chucking my old, battered pans this morning to make way.

I've been looking at reclining chairs with a view to replacing mine.  The other day I moved it and underneath was a screw.  That's happened a few times lately and I expect that one of these days it will just stop reclining completely.  It's already becoming more awkward.  I know what I want and I went to the showroom to look at the fabrics where I was one that looked remarkably like the new covers on the suite.  I brought a swatch home but it wasn't the same.  To get something that's similar but different wouldn't work so I will take one of the arm covers and choose a fabric that tones.

There's choices, even within one chair.  I was interested in the riser recliners but decided against the riser function because
it's electric and has to be plugged in
it's extremely slow
it's much more expensive
and I don't need a riser chair
 . . . so it will be a recliner that works via handle or catch.

The one I have is very old.  It was given to me about ten years ago, after the extension was built, by my parents.  They had it at least fifteen years and it was reconditioned when they bought it.  It's earned its space, that's for sure, but the time has come to replace it, before it collapses under me.

I'm not really becoming a spendthrift.  This is all bought with the retirement lump sum and is quality of living stuff that will likely see me out.  Nice.


Added later:
Went back to bed and slept until 7:30 which is virtually unheard of!  And the sun is shining.   😊

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on your search for a replacement recliner. If you do change your mind and opt for a rise recliner, do make sure you put extra carpeting or protection underneath as it ruins the carpet. I discovered this when I moved my late partner's rise recliner to clean - after only 1 week the carpet was damaged beyond repair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is worth knowing, thank you. What a shame about the carpet.
    J x

    ReplyDelete

  3. Glad the new saucepans are a success, they look good. Have you tried whether some of the old lids would fit some of the new pans?
    Could be worth it as a stop gap until they've come up with the proper lids. I am surprise they haven't so far, to me it's a fundamental, especially as they make such a big thing out of the interchange between hob and oven. Whoever heard of casseroles without cover?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old pan lids do fit but weren't oven proof - didn't need to be! Foil will be fine and I shall have to keep my eyes open for oven proof lids. :-)
    It really does seem very daft indeed, doesn't it, but I'm very pleased with the pans and am now umming and ahing about getting more. :-)
    J x

    ReplyDelete