Wednesday 30 August 2017

Wednesday

I'm glad we had a pleasant, sunny, warm bank holiday weekend because yesterday afternoon it started chucking it down, then it stopped, then it started again and it is still wet this morning.  Solves the problem of 'do I water the allotment?', doesn't it, although I ought to go and pick at some point.

Remember I mentioned this bread book I found very much reduced.  Well, I've started working through, leaving the first recipe, which is soda bread, for when my friend (who can't have yeast) comes to stay, and going on to the second, a very basic cob   More or less the recipe I use but without the sugar and oil so just water, yeast, salt and water.  I'm always amazed that such very simple ingredients can produce something so tasty and mouthwatering.

It's just finishing off in the oven as I'm typing so by the end of this entry it should be out and I can take a photo.  The only problem is that it seems to be coming out a bit flat and that, I am sure, is down to my shaping.  You create the tension in the loaf by shaping and as I usually use a tin, I'm not great at it.  Much do better and I will work on it!

Apart from that, I have washing to do so the drying rack will be in service (and the tumble dryer for those things that don't mind the heat) and this afternoon the lovely Sharon is coming to do my hair, thank goodness.  I will look so much more civilised once that's done.  It cheers me up no end and makes me feel human again.

I'm very tired as the complications of life continue (as they do) and I am glad today is an easy day with lots of time to take things a bit easier.  A nice, fresh, crusty load should help that along considerably!
And here it is, hot and fresh out of the oven.  Not bad for before 8:00 am, eh?  But I will definitely work on my shaping technique and the slashes need to be deeper and much more even.

The next one in the book is 'soft-crust sandwich bread' and contains milk and golden syrup.  I'll give that a go tomorrow morning, I think, and Beth can take it for Alex and her to enjoy over the weekend.  After that it is a 'simple spelt loaf' and I have spelt flour so that's good.

Where would we be without bread, eh?  What's your favourite kind?

2 comments:

  1. Tiger bread! Yum.
    Cooking/baking is often my go-to activity when life is a trial.

    Eloise
    thisissixty.blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Eloise.
    It's not tiger bread, does it looks as is it is? (note to self: look up recipe for tiger bread)
    It's very tasty but I think I miss both the oil and the bit of sugar I add to my usual loaves.
    J x

    ReplyDelete