Saturday 17 March 2018

Saturday

Good morning everyone! 
The so-called Beast from the East 2 has arrived although it's hardly roaring.  It's the usually slightly soggy snowfall that is less like a roar and more like a gentle miaouw really, settling on grass and roofs but not on the roads and pathways.  A bit unusual for mid March but it won't last as long (I hope) nor be as cold.  My boiler is still on, thankfully!

It was quite different yesterday, mild and sunny with a gentle breeze that dried my clothes nicely on the line.  I got two loads done which means the basket is now nearly empty!  I didn't get any ironing done so that's a task for this morning.

Lunch with a friend was really lovely.  Bless her, she brought with her some daffodils for me and now my downstairs looks very bright and spring-like.  I found a recipe for chicken thighs which turned out really nicely and was absolutely delicious.  I had to sub a few ingredients but it worked fine and I am very glad there's enough left over for my lunch today!

Here it is although I used orange marmalade, not having any lemon)
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chinese-style-lemon-marmalade-chicken

We had a good old chat and catch-up too.

I didn't get much more clearing out done yesterday so it is double dose today.  I must tackle the pile of books that seems to have grown beside my bed and then the mess on my so-called 'dressing table'.  I wonder - if I had a plant or two there would it stop me from dumping stuff?  Who knows!

Oh - and after sorting out an old swimming bag, I now have three more swimming costumes.  Who needs seven!  I've washed them but I think they will need to go into the charity pile as they are now too big (cheers).

Beth and I were going to take a trip to the allotment this morning, not to work but to develop our Plan of Action.  I was going to pick Beth up but, given that her road is narrow, on a hill and with parking both sides, we've decided to give it a miss.  Beth had the very unpleasant experience of losing control and sliding down backwards one icy day a few years ago and how she managed not to hit anything on the way down, she will never know.  Neither of us take any risks on that road now; it may be in town but it is a minor road and is never gritted - I doubt the gritting lorries could get down, in fact.
Maybe we can go tomorrow.

As the weather doesn't look exactly promising today (it's just started snowing harder, more like a snarl now), I think it will be heating turned up, windows closed and a warm snuggle under the fleece.  Stay warm and take care, whatever the weather down your way.

4 comments:

  1. This is a comment on your last two posts as I didn't read yesterday’s till this morning!
    A tip that I heard when trying to decide which things to clear out was,
    “Don't keep anything that makes you feel sad or guilty.”
    It helped enormously and piles of memorabilia went out.
    I have not missed any of it though I still think of some of my college work sometimes.
    The only thing I wish I’d kept was my doll but I’m not sure why! My granddaughter has
    never been interested in dolls.
    As I get older I am trying to live for this moment. Too many possessions with memories attached
    drag me back to the past.
    Too many craft bits and pieces make me feel stressed as I know I’ll never use them.
    I can feel a decluttering urge coming on!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very helpful, thanks, Sue. You're right about being dragged back. I found my engagement ring the other day. My marriage didn't end happily and, for specific reasons, I don't have my wedding ring, but I have never worn the engagement ring, partly because it made me feel sad and partly because it wouldn't fit (chubby fingers). However, now, it nearly fits again and I looked at it and realised that actually it's a very nice ring; nothing showy but a pretty little amethyst. I've decided that when it fits on my fourth finger, I shall wear it again, not all the time and on my right hand, not my left. That decision made me feel happy. It felt right!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Joy re the engagement ring. I took my wedding ring off when Mike died because it meant nothing he didn't give it to me it was my grandmothers and it only fit my left ring finger.

    By the way, I have another use for vodka I make my own vanilla essence. If I use a vanilla pod when I am finished with it I chop it up and put it in a small jam jar and cover with vodka. The longer you leave it the stronger it gets and of course, you keep adding to pods to it.

    I have just returned from the shops up the road I thought if I was walking I had better go before it got any worse. it is now beginning to stick on the roads and paths so a good decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for telling me this, Diane. You have other ways of remembering your grandmother apart from her ring, I am sure, and these things are important because of their significance rather than their intrinsic values.
    I never knew you could make your own vanilla - what a splendid idea. I might beg some vodka off my dad next weekend and start some off. Thanks.
    Glad you are home safely. It's not staying on the roads and pathways here and I thought it had stopped but it's just started again.
    J x

    ReplyDelete