Thursday 1 March 2018

Thursday

Good morning! 
Pinch and punch!
Looking out, who would ever think that it is March, eh?  It's more like January and there's more of a wind this morning, making it feel extremely cold.

Well, yesterday was quite a day one way and another!  When I woke, I turned up the heating because it was still on night setting, and did my usual social media-ing stuff.  It took me a while to realise it wasn't getting any warmer so checked and uh-oh, the boiler wouldn't ignite.  After emails to my plumber (so helpful) and advice from my neighbours, I tacked a frozen pipe with hair dryer and kettle and, thankfully, it all sorted out.  Big thanks to Matt, Elaine and Neil.
Despite the heating coming back on, it took me ages to feel warm again and fingers and nose remained chilly more or less all day.  I'm feeling the cold a lot more nowadays! Oh, well!

And then it went off again - same problem - early evening and it's gone again this morning.  At least I know what to do this time, the immersion has been turned on and the halogen heater is on half heat which is plenty to keep the room warm until I sort out that pipe again (which won't be until I am bathed and dressed and it's daylight!

I shall get Matt the Plumber to come and take a look as soon as he can.  Lagging will be the answer, I suspect, and maybe setting the pipe at a steeper incline so the condensation drains away faster before it can freeze.  I'll see what he says.

Back to yesterday, in the meanwhile, I'd been in communication with Tuition Parent and TP sensibly decided not to turn out.  The decision was helped by the fact that school was closed anyway so that also put paid to both family assembly and helping out.

However, Sharon did battle through, worked her usual magic on my hair and now I feel human again.

So - today.  Well, it's a day in, there's nothing in the diary until tuition and one of them has already cancelled as they live out in the country and their roads are untreated and in a nasty condition.

I have a stack of washing to do, a bit of planning and a pipe to defrost!  I wonder if we will get more snow before it starts warming up.

Some parts of the country are due for another bashing so, please, stay safe and warm and take care.


2 comments:

  1. We have had the same problem with our pipe, Joy. The water that condenses when leaving the boiler and which drains down into the sewage system has been frozen. I had no idea what this pipe was for; if I'd known, I'd have suggested to Himself that it needed lagging before the winter. Mind you, this is the first time it's happened. We called our plumber out this morning and he just poured hot water on it, and later when it happened again (and elder son was here) elder son popped out and dug out a huge block of ice at the end of the pipe where it goes into the drain. All OK now and if the boiler fails again, we'll know what to do. Go out in a blizzard to fix the ruddy thing!
    Keep warm,
    Magaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I've just left it but it's good to know where the blockage is likely to be, thanks. It's so cold I didn't want to go out. The halogen is doing the job for now and maybe I'll give it another go tomorrow when it is supposed to be warming up a bit.
    J x

    ReplyDelete